Sunday, May 25, 2014

Adirondack Bench Seating Build (Part 1)

With the deck build finished.


I'm starting on a new project to furnished the deck with some seats and tables.  I originally wanted to build a L shape bench that wrapped around the fire pit.  But we both agreed that something more comfortable would be better if we were to sit on it for a long period of time.  So I used SketchUp and came up with this..

Adirondack bench seating with tables.
During the deck build, I ordered some extra 2 x 6 x 10 knowing I would need to build seating.  I cut those down into size and squared them into usable stock.
Squared stock.
I was very excited to use my table saw setup for the first time.  It was also my first time exercising the Incra Miter 5000.  I was very impressed with the precision on the angle setting and cutline is.  Best of all, just how easy it was to setup my initial cut and template that first cut for the rest.  No more drawing lines on every piece of wood!
First angle cut exceeded expectation.  Cut came in on my draw line perfectly.
20 degrees deep angle cut.  Cutting piece off for where the back frame sits on the deck.
Used the Incra Shop Stop to template every cut.
Angle cut against the long grain for the front beam board on the seat.

Glue and Screw

 I'm using the glue first and screw method for my jointing.  Using the screw to help set and also to seal to create a water barrier.  Then screwing it to get it the extra strength.

Lining up the wood for glue up.
Glued the first set.
Glued them all!

Testing the angle fit on the front beam.
Putting the front and back beams together to the side frame.
First bottom frame completed.
All 4 frames completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment