Friday, May 2, 2014

Raised Garden Beds With Crates

My wife wanted me to put together a raised vegetable garden for the kids.  But right now, because we're doing some planting in the backyard with trees and all, we weren't sure of a good permanent location where there is not too much sun or too much shade.  I figured this would be perfect if I built a portable garden on a table.

From our decking project, I had extra lumber laying around.  Specifically, a couple 4 x 4 x 8 PT wood and three 2 x 6 x 20 southern yellow pine.

So the idea is to build some buckets and a table for those buckets to nest in.
Fresh wood!
 For the 2 x 6 x 20, I cut the wood down in to sections that would make a 18" x 18" box.  After cutting down in length, I performed a cross cut on them to thin the wood down from a 2 x 6 to a 1 x 6.  Since I'm building boxes and not using it for framing, I don't need the thickness for the same type of support.

Wood cut down into 18" lengths and crosscut to half inch thickness.  Laying out the box to test fit.

For 2 of the bottom board, a dado cut for the slotted bottom.

Bottom section of the box slotted together.
 I created some corner ties from left over cedar.  The original dimensions was 2 x 4 that were cut down to 2 x 2.
Corner ties where all of the screws are secured to.

Clamping things together for things to be screwed tight.

Using some decking screws for the ties.


Finished bottom portion of the crate.
 The top portion of the boxes were slotted with handles.  I used a router table and free hand routed the slots in there using a 1 inch router bit.
Adding the top portion of the crate siding.

All four boxes done.

The table frame.

Adding legs to the table frame.  Legs are 4 x 4 x 30.

Added some slots into the table frame to hold the boxes.

All 4 boxes in place.

Stained!


No comments:

Post a Comment