Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Picnic Table

I had some rough cedar left over from a pergola build laying around.  And after 5 months of it being left outside, I had to do something with it before it rotted or termites found a home in it.  Never having built furniture before, I think this came out pretty good.

I bought a double swivel miter saw (chop saw) to build this.  I was pretty excited to be able to cut angles repeatedly so easily.

This shows the table top put together and one side of legs screwed together and placed haphazardly on the table to see where things need to line up.

The sub-frame is screwed together with the other side of the legs.  Also in the process of putting corner braces in the sub-frame.



Table all put together and just waiting eagerly for some sanding and nice stain.



Stain all painted on.  The stain used was of a natural cedar which darkens it to a nice red wood color.

Here is a close up of the wood with the stain finish.  I also sanded it with some 0000 steel wool afterwards to sand down the finish it self.

No comments:

Post a Comment