Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Outdoor Big Green Egg Mobile BBQ Table

Recently, I've been wanting to do some serious smoke grilling outside.  After some researching, I decided to get a Big Green Egg kamado grill. I went to a BBQ outfitter near me and before pulling the trigger, I wanted to put it on something that I could cook, cut and serve off of.  Being in a mood to build something, I went home and drew up a plan.  



Created this in Sketchup.  I mainly used this as my dimensional guide.  I didn't end up following this exactly because I wanted to try some different type of joinery so I had to move some widths and heights around to accommodate


The stock of white oak ordered from Dakota Hardwood and Lumber.  The planks on the right are jointed on 2 sides only and the stock on the left is just rough not milled.

Doing my first butt edge table glue up.

Finished results from the table glue up.  Came out pretty good except for two spots.  Need to improve on my jointing.

Finished with mortise in sub-frame joist.  The stack of cross beams with tenons cut on the left.

Mortise were cut with a plunge router and finished off with chiseling.  The tenons were done with an incra router table.

Just more of the same.

tenon/mortise glue up of one side.



A man can never have enough clamps.  I love these Bessey KR series clamps.  They give a very strong grip compared to those one hand quick releases.

Highlighting my open dado cuts for the top of the legs.  They came out perfect.  Just check the alignments.



Check out the tenons standing side by side so pretty and all.

Did the full glue up of the sub-frame.  notice I'm missing the clamp on one of the cross beams.  I compensated by clamping the beam and moving the clamp to the nest cross beams.  Once you've clamped down tension, the joints are not very likely to release.


Glued up the legs to one side of the sub frame.  The top beam is just there for placement for me to check rightness of the leg attachments.

Check out the precision of the dado joinery.  I did the dado cuts with a miter saw by sliding it back and forth.  I couldn't use a router or router table for this since the dado cut needed to be deeper than what my bits could provide.

This is the table for the bottom shelf.  The corners are cut to fit the legs.  The table has been poly'ed with no stain.

The bottom shelf table installed into the sub-frame.  Fit was just perfect.



The table top being sanded down.

Sub-frame, legs and top joist glued.  Wheels attached as well.

Precision joinery shown with an open dado cut on the top of the legs, top joist glued on.

Everything poly'ed thus far.

Just an artistic picture of the table top with some of my most trusted tools.


Table top cut out to fit the BGE.  The hole was 26" in diameter.  I ended up cutting the table top with a plunge router using a custom made circular cutting jig that I attached on the plunge router base.  It took about 7 passes to cut the .6 inches of wood. 
The final result with the BGE put into it.

And really, the end result!

Pork ribs cooked with the 2-2-1 technique @ 230F degrees .  Make sure to buy some nice thick fatty ribs.  If you use lean ribs with 2-2-1, the meat won't hold on to the bones at all!




No comments:

Post a Comment